Cytogenetics of Crop Plants
Cytogenetics and its importance in crop improvement. Ultra fine structure of cell and its organelles. Overview of cell cycle. Cytological evidences of crossing over. Chromosomal aberrations; deficiencies and duplications, their phenotypic effects, genetic and cytological tests. Use of translocations and inversions in genetic studies and evolution. Methods of locating break points. Genetic studies in translocations and inversions in different crops. Heteroploidy, genetic and cytological behavior.
Use of various microscopes in cytological studies. Slide preparation of mitotic and meiotic cell divisions from different plant material. Karyotype study of different crop plants. Banding techniques (ISH, FISH & GISH).
1. Bass, H.W. and J.A. Brichler. 2010. Plant Cytogenetics: Genome Structure and Chromosome Function. Springer Publishers, New York, USA.
2. Gupta, R.K. 1999. Cytogenetics. Rastogi Publishers, Meerut, India.
3. Singh, R.J. 2003. Plant Cytogenetics. CRC Press, London, UK.
4. Prasad, G. 1998. Introduction to Cytogenetics. Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi, India.
5. Sinha, U, and S. Sinha. 1998. Cytogenetics, Plant Breeding and Evolution. Vikas Publishing House Pvt Ltd, New Delhi, India.