o Characteristics of scientific social research
o Quality of good researcher
o Difficulties in social research.
· What is Research problem
o Choosing the problem and its significance
o Review of relevant literature, theoretical framework
o Formulation of research question
o Derivation of research hypothesis
o Measuring the variable, operationalization, validity and reliability,
o The time dimension: 1-cross sectional studies 2- longitudinal studies 3- approximating longitudinal studies
o Unit of analysis: 1- individuals 2- groups 3- organizations
· Research design
o Definition of research design
o Characteristics of research design
o Types of research design
o Components of research design.
· Making a hypothesis
o Meaning and forms of hypothesis
o Functions of hypothesis
o Sources and logic of driving hypothesis
o Characteristics of useable hypothesis
o Statistical testing of hypothesis.
o Sampling techniques
o Preparation of sampling frame
o error and control
o Types and method of data collection
o Instruments of data collection
o Questioner development
o Design and format
o Pre-testing and revision
o Field problem in data collection.
o Reporting and editing
· Processing of data
o Analysis of data by using computer
o Statistical techniques used in data analysis
o Interpretation/description of data using technical language.
o Practical (the students are required to collect data and by using some statistical package analyze data.
· Data collection
o Sources of data
o Methods of data collection
o Survey method
o Experimental method
o Case study method
o Historical method/documentation
o Content analysis method.
· Tools of data collection
o Observation (participants and non-participants)
o Interview schedule
o Focus group discussion (FGD)
· Measurement and scaling
o Types of scales
o Paired comparison
o Method of equal appearing interval
o Internal consistency scale
o Thurston scale
o Rating scales.
· Analysis and interaction of data
· Presentation of data and report writing
o Format of report
o Graphic and pictorial presentation
o Report writing, bibliography
o Footnotes and references.
BOOKS RECOMMENDED: -
1. Bonface, David R (1995), Experiment Design and Statistical Methods for Behavioral and Social Research, London, Chapman and Hall.
2. Miller D C (1991), Handbook of Research Design and Social Measurement, London, Sage Publications.
3. Eills E (1994), Research Methods in Social Science, Eirgiond: Brown and BenchMark Publishers.
4. Singleton, Royce A, and Straits, Bruce C. (1988). Approaches to Social Research. 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press
5. Neuman, W. Lawrence. (2000).Social Research Methods. 4th ed. Boston: Allyn and Bacon
6. Babbie, Eearl. (2001).The Practice of Social Research. 9th ed. Australia: Wadsworth
- Teacher: Dr. Muhammad Ali Tarar
o Social work and its definition
o Relationship with sociology
o Applications of sociological knowledge in social work
o Historical development of social welfare in South Asia
o Concept of welfare state and social welfare
· Methods of social work
o Case work: Basic concepts, principles of case work practice
o Group work: goals and purposes, principles of group work practice
o Community development: Nature and scope of community development with special reference to Pakistan
· Social work services
o Psychiatric social work
o Medical social work
o Social work in schools
o Child welfare
o Services for the aged
o Services for women
o Services for the disabled
o Poverty reduction and other services
· Social work in Pakistan
o Role of government agencies-historical perspective
o Role of international agencies
o Role of NGOs
BOOKS RECOMMENDED: -
1. Ferguson, Etizabath A (1963). Social Work: An Introduction, New York, J.B. L. Pincott Company.
2. Fink, Arthur E. ed.al. The field of Social Work, New York, Holt R. Nehart and Winston.
3. Fried: Amder. Watter A. (Ed) Concepts and Methods of Social Work. Englewood CL. Ffs. NJ Practice Hall Inc. 1958.
4. Martin, Davis (1991) The Sociology of Social Work, London, Routledge.
5. Skidmore Rex A, Miltong Thackery. (1994), Introduction to Social Work. New Jercy. Prentice Hall International Inc.
- Teacher: Roomana Naz